Thursday, March 26, 2009

Plog

It’s what I’ve struggled to find ever since landing at JFK on July 24th. Family? West Coast. Friends? West Coast (at the time). Filipino people generally? West Coast (across the Hudson rather...New Jersey). I’ve had to find it elsewhere.

No disrespect to the great friends that I’ve made here, I love you all. You keep me sane. You give me something to look forward to as I listlessly take notes that I know I won’t re-read. It’s just not the same though, not that I expected things to be the same. I just want a taste of that out here.

I’m going to check out NYU’s PCN, hampered expectations of course. No knock on NYU Pilipino community but the last one that I watched (live) was probably the greatest ever. Also, the last non-Cal PCN I saw was pretty bad (minus my sister’s painted face and dance suite). They also have a lechon. Yup, on a Friday evening PCN. I don’t know how that happened and who allowed it, but thank God I’m not a Catholic (big-ups to all y’all Catholics following on here – rock on, I’ll enjoy that pig for ya). All that aside, I hope to grab a hold of something that I’ve been missing since June. Maybe I’ll leave with a piece of home. Maybe I’ll even make a friend there.

It would be nice to have a day where I see one Pilipino who isn’t a domestic worker carting around a white child in a stroller. God bless them, but that’s another post all-together.

3 comments:

Keeks said...

i think im a representative for philly. are there filpinos here? hmm.. i can probably count them on one hand. makes for lots of edumacating opportunities

Eyawn said...

you know what that means... move back to 2422.

Krizia said...

dude, is their PCN tomorrow? P.S. hellooo I have a balikbayan box in my room full of tuyo, sinigang mix, sardines, laing in a can, aaaaand caldereta mix (and other stuff like dried mangoes). when we gon' make that tsamporado pilipino pood party happen?