Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Good Stuff

For some reason, I've used this space (or have simulated using this space in my brain) to complain. It just feels easier to talk about the bad sometimes. Maybe it's because I expect the good to be regular...how entitled of me. Hmm, who knows?

In some ways, NYC has hardened me, turned me into that mean person that people joke about when it comes to New Yorkers. I've noticed that I certainly am not as warm as I'd like to be at times. Maybe these are just the most salient changes, but I do feel that I've changed for the good as well.

Being out here pushes me to be better than I had to be back home because I just don't have the same support (family, long-time friends - no offense to who is out here). While I strive to be and sometimes see myself as an extravert, I've found that putting myself out there and finding new friends and connections is a task - and a difficult one at that. Whether forcing myself out for a night of drinks or calling up someone who I haven't seen in some time, I have to take the extra effort. I'm better for it. Being out of my element opened my eyes to the fact that I still need to brush up on my social skills and truly take some risks. On the flipside, having to work so hard to make connections helps me to appreciate both the new and old friends even more.

After a year or so out here, I began brushing off the "If I can make it here, I can make it anywhere" adage. I thought it was played out and living here had become routine enough that I didn't believe it. After a few months of unemployment and a smack of reality in the face, I once again believe. People flock to NYC to be challenged, regardless of what field of interest or reason for moving. People come out here to prove a point, so setting yourself apart is key. With 6 months under my belt at my current job, I realize how valuable this position is. If I succeed and work my butt off, I'll open up a wide range of opportunities for myself. If I am diligent in growing and cultivating my networks, I'll be rich in social capital.

Being out here has taught me that I need to play hard too. When a day at the office can drain every last ounce of life out of me, I need to find a de-stresser and some good people to de-stress with. While I'm not quite as spontaneous as I was back home (not having a car and living in the boroughs will do that), I know that sometimes good company trumps sleep. Maybe this isn't something that is new for me, but City living isn't conducive to this. Or at least my circumstances aren't. It's good to know that some things haven't changed I guess.

Being out here has made me more forward-thinking. I've always been an "intermediate-range" planner. NYC is always in flux, it's a revolving door where so many people don't have a timeline. That include's me. As much as I can move as the spirit takes me, I am constantly thinking about how my next action dictates my future opportunities. What happens in the next few months? Years? Thank you, NYC, for helping me to squint forward and search for those next steps.

See, it isn't all bad out here. As much as this blog sometimes makes it seem.

2 comments:

abril said...

Hey Mark,

Living in NYC for 2 years is on my bucket list. Nice to hear your reflections on how our transition has been. Got any good tips for a California girl like me?

-April

mc said...

April,

Tips? Visit and try to see the non-touristy stuff (when you've got the time) which also means trying to be here during the weekdays. It's just a different vibe and WAY less crowded.

Also, have a good reason to be out here. Not to say that coming out to job hunt and be here bc it's NYC isn't a bad thing. Sometimes, it's just nice to be here for something like school or a specific program because it gives you some timelines and parameters for your stay.

This could go on forever. If, or when, you're ready, just hit me up.