Thursday, May 14, 2009

Gettin my Langdon on

And I don't mean Trajan. In trying to make sense of the social media world, I examined my own consumption pattern. Post aim/other messengers, came Friendster. A good way to expand to the friends that you had beyond messenger. Then, for some reason, it got uncool/boring and Facebook and Myspace came along fairly simultaneously. Myspace followed a similar trend compared to Friendster (all it really did was expand on some options). Facebook started differently though. It was exclusive. Networks started much smaller. Well, that era ended and now Twitter is the balls.

I tweet to reach a smaller audience. The people who I think might actually care about the minutia of my life (or the ones that I will make care about the minutia of my life). It's not a broadcasting method for me, much like FB has become. That said, my social media safe havens have become gchat, twitter and this blog (because God knows nobody really reads this). I've bounced around because I don't need everyone to know everything. I just want a semi-intimate space that isn't really that intimate because this isn't password protected and can be searched by probably anyone on the internet. That's all I want. That's the world that I dream of.

That's my analysis. I know, thesis worthy huh? But for those who have bounced around, does this resonate? Completely disagree? No real reason for your internet nomadic ways?

Btdub, check out blip.fm. @karmacamilleeon @jamaicanjerk and @krizias know the dealie

4 comments:

Krizia said...

dude I always read your blog.

I started off with xanga, then blogspot, myspace, facebook, and finally twitter.

I dropped xanga but like to go back to read my angsty teen posts (circa 2000-2004).

I dropped myspace (which I've never really been a fan of). I hate myspace.

I'm an edge supporter of facebook, meaning I'm on it, but not really. Don't post much. Only actually started doing updates recently. I like Twitter better. I don't give a peepee about most people on facebook. You're right about Twitter being a smaller network where whoever cares will follow, and whoever doesn't care won't follow.

Blip fo lyfe. Keep tweeting, blipping and blogging (such weird verbs we're coming up with these days...)

Unknown said...

i read your blog. i started with blogs like livejournal and deadjournal and then went to myspace and then to fb and then twitter. i feel like i've slowly moved to a less invasive form of social networking. i love facebook and what not but i don't feel the need to post photos or notes anymore or write on people's walls when i just actually call or gchat the people i care to talk to when i'm not busy. twitter is nice cause i just update the things i'm doing at the moment or what i'm thinking or feeling and the people i want to share it with will know.

camille said...

you have many fans on all your social networks. i am definitely one of them (as noted by the many "i like this" thumbs up i give your statuses...and the xanga eProps from way back in the day).

blip is bomb. i've always liked to reference songs in my blogs, gchat statuses. (i'm thinking this is a habit that was fostered through xanga's "i'm currently listening to/watching...").

Eyawn said...

I don't follow any of your sh*t.